Here’s a look at what SCIMEP researchers have been up to during the fall of 2012. Several current members and alumni have been named Kavli Frontiers of Science-NAS fellows, we published several articles and book chapters, and presented at MAPOR’s annual conference.
Fellowships and awards
- SCIMEP faculty researcher and UW-Madison Life Sciences Communication (LSC) professor Dietram Scheufele named AAAS fellow (more here).
- Scheufele and Dominique Brossard, scimep researchers and LSC professors, and scimep alumni Andrew Binder were named Kavli Frontiers of Science-NAS Fellows. They all presented on science communication at the Kavli Frontiers of Science 24th Annual U.S. Symposium. Scheufele was also the chair of the science communication session of the symposium.
- MAPOR–Midwest Association for Public Opinion Research–awarded SCIMEP student researcher and LSC doctoral candidate Jiyoun Kim honorable mention for her paper “Selective Attention, Primed-Encoding and the Role of Language in Mediated Scientific Messages Processing” (more here).
Featured publications: a sample from the whole list
- Former and current SCIMEP researchers collaborated on a book chapter in Citizen voices: Performing public participation in science and environment communication. Ashley Anderson, SCIMEP alumna, Scheufele, Brossard and Mike Xenos, scimep faculty researcher and UW-Madison Communication Arts professor, co-author the chapter “Online talk: How exposure to disagreement in online comments affects beliefs in the promise of controversial science.” Full citation here:
- Anderson, A. A., Brossard, D., Scheufele, D. A. & Xenos, M. A. (2012). Online talk: How exposure to disagreement in online comments affects beliefs in the promise of controversial science. In L. Phillips, A. Carvalho & J. Doyle (Eds.), Citizen voices: Performing public participation in science and environment communication. ECREA Book Series.
- SCIMEP alumni Tsung-Jen Shih, with Scheufele and Brossard, published “Disagreement and value predispositions: Understanding public opinion about stem cell research” in the International Journal of Public Opinion Research. Full citation here:
- Shih, T.-J., Scheufele, D. A., & Brossard, D. (2012). Disagreement and value predispositions: Understanding public opinion about stem cell research. International Journal of Public Opinion Research. First published online on October 16, 2012. doi: 10.1093/ijpor/eds029
- Brossard wrote about biotechnology communication in new information environments in a book published by acatech, the German Academices of Science and Engineering. Full citation here:
- Brossard, Dominique (2012): A Brave new world: Challenges and opportunities for communicating about biotechnology in new information environments. In: Weitze, Marc- Denis, Puehler, Alfred et al. (Eds.): Biotechnologie-Kommunikation: Kontroversen, Analysen, Aktivitäten, Heidelberg: Springer.